Acne is a skin condition caused by increased oil production of the sebaceous (oil) glands. The excess oil, together with dead skin cells, blocks the hair follicles causing whiteheads, blackheads and pimples. Skin on the face, chest, upper back and shoulders are most prone to this condition.
Though mostly common among teenagers, acne can affect people of all ages.
Due its unappealing appearance, and its extra visibility being on the face, acne is often associated with stigmatization and extreme disapproval in the society. Therefore, depending on how severe the condition is, it can not only scar and damage the skin but also cause emotional distress.
Though acne can be persistent, it can be effectively and completely cured with a proper treatment plan. At Christell we offer a holistic plan for all types of acne. We provide a combined treatment of medication, both oral and topical, non-invasive cosmetology for scarring, and psychological to ease the emotional scarring. Each treatment plan is designed according to the severity of acne you have.
Causes and triggers
- Skin producing excess oil
- Dead skin cells clogging hair follicles
- Increased activity of hormones (androgens)
Types of acne
- Whiteheads – excess oil causing a follicle wall to bulge can result in pores being blocked by white colour plugs
- Blackheads – white heads once open to the surface can darken causing blackheads. Black heads resemble dirt stuck in pores. But, its actually pores congested with bacteria and oil.
- Pimples – blocked hair follicles infected with bacteria. These look like raised red spots with white centres.
Damages caused by acne are
- Affects psychologically or hampers the self esteem
- Acne controling dermal therapies
- Chemical peels
- Laser therapy
- Nutrition Councelling
- Hormone Therapy